Job Location: 19 N Broadway, Billings, MT 59101
The Pastry Chef is responsible for overseeing the Pastry Department at the Northern Hotel, which services three outlets; Banquets and Catering, Bernie’s Diner, and TEN Restaurant. The Pastry Chef must demonstrate strong leadership skills and attention to detail to elevate and sustain a competitive edge. The Pastry Chef is accountable for the quality and consistency of all pastry products produced and served including the efficiency, consistency, associate training and accountability of costs associated with the Pastry Department. The Pastry Chef works directly with the Executive Chef on the creation, development, and implementation of new desserts and creative menu developments of all outlets.
Duties and Responsibilities
The following are examples only and are not intended to be all inclusive or restrictive; other duties may be assigned.
- Demonstrates hands on approach to all bakery products produced in the Pastry Department ensuring quality, presentation and consistency standards meet company standards.
- Assist with the development of standardized recipes for all menu items. Ensures recipes are accurate and updated as needed.
- Ensures proper levels of bakery and pastry items are prepared based on forecast needs, and their prompt delivery to the designated outlet for guest consumption.
- With a “hands on” approach assigns tasks effectively for the efficient use of allocated labor, ensuring maximum results are achieved and daily production needs have been met in a timely, organized manner.
- Responsible for complete set up, cleanliness and organization of the Pastry Department and bakery areas.
- Seeks to maintain knowledge of industry trends in pastry and baking.
- Bake fresh pastries, deserts and breads for all outlets in the hotel.
- The Pastry Chef must act as a manager, team leader and motivator for the Pastry Department, working closely and maintaining good relations with all culinary team members, as well as with other departments.
- Recommends measures to improve production/ service methods, equipment performance, scheduling, quality control and working conditions to increase efficiency and safety of the food service operations.
- Communicates variances from standards and expectations to the Executive Chef and Sous Chef, Lead Line Cooks, Cooks, and Buffet staff. Maintains awareness of all changes and conveys the correct information to the next shift.
- Reviews menu items and makes changes as necessary. Utilizes left overs when possible.
- Ensures kitchen equipment is clean and in good working order, reporting required repairs. Ensures that all equipment is handled safely and with care.
- Creates recipe cards for all menu items and trains bakers using the recipe cards.
- Assist the Executive Chef with the annual budget process, making recommendations with regards to the Pastry Department.
- Facilitates all health, safety, and sanitary rules and regulation standards according to the Health Department.
- Attends all meetings and training for the department.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Fully competent in all aspects of baking and pastry.
- The ability to define a problem, collect data, establish facts, form conclusions, understand complex instructions and material, mentally process abstract ideas while delivering results.
- The ability to be present for assigned shifts and work nights, weekends, holidays and extended hours when required.
- The ability to handle multiple tasks and work well in an environment with time constraints.
- At least two years large scale baking/pastry experience.
- Previous work in all decorative medias, such as sugar and pastry.
- Critical thinking- Evaluates, makes judgments, seeks constructive resolutions in the interest of operations of the Pastry Department. The Pastry Chef is able the make responsible decisions with ownership and accountability.
- Results oriented- Organize and carry out a course of action to manage likely situations to achieve practical results.
- Setting goals and measuring performance- Understands work requirements and improves levels of competence. Sets goals and considers strategies that balance progress and unwanted costs.
- Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals, in addition to working with mathematical probability and inference.
- Proficiency in English, strong oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to provide authorization to work in the United States.
Physical and Work Environments:
- The physical and work environments described here are representative of those that must be met and are encountered by an employee to successfully preform the essential functions of this job. While preforming the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, walk and bend for extended periods; reach with hands and arms; talk and listen on a regular basis. Must be able to work for extended periods under artificial, fluorescent lighting with varying noise levels. Must be able to preform under pressure, concentrate for a prolonged period and be able to work long hours under stressful conditions.
Perks of working for the Northern Hotel include:
Discounts throughout the hotel
• Restaurants: 25% off meals
• Gift Shop: 25% off merchandise and 10% off food and drinks
• Meeting Room discounts
• Discounted room rates for immediate family and employee
Comprehensive Health Insurance for Full Time employees
Generous PTO Accruals as well as Vacation time
**ALL INTERESTED APPLICANTS PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING**
Applicants: Please follow this direct company website link to complete our fillable application. All applications MUST be completed in full in order to be considered for employment.
After completion, email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org or you may print and return to the front desk.
- Chrome Users: Please complete the application and then download the file. If prompted, select “With your changes”.
- Firefox Users: Please complete the application and then click the “download” icon from the top right of the page. If prompted, save your file.
- Mobile browser users may experience issues with the application. Please enable “Desktop Site” in your browser, if available on your device, while on our jobs page or use a computer to access.